Saturday, January 23, 2010

A view of the play structure at the Guarderia. The little house has a padded floor and the 3-4 yr . olds take their naps out here when it is too warm in the classroom. Much of the playground was constructed by a group of visiting university students several years ago.

A lovely little bridge in the playground garden commemorating Hanley Denning, the founder of Safe Passage---also built by the university students. I haven't met a single person that doesn't have a wonderful or heartfelt story to tell about Ms. Denning. Apparently she was just a force to contend with once she made her mind up to pursue a goal---she made headway in areas that no one ever dreamed of broaching with the people of Guatemala. Every minute of her 18 hour work days was dedicated to the project and the people that depended on it. Everyone loved her--from the tiniest babies to the elders in the many families whose lives she touched. From all the stories I've heard from the teachers and long term volunteers, I almost feel like I knew her. I am certainly proud to be associated with her program and people all over Antigua smile when they see us wearing our Safe Passage t-shirts---I think they are all apppreciative of the service the project offers the community.


This area in the Guarderia serves as a dining room, an auditorium for events, and a nap room. The opposite wall is all screened and allows for cool breezes to flow through the room.

Another view of the Guarderia and its well maintained grounds---directly opposite this building, behind where I stood to take this photo, is a large basketball court that is used for weekend sports acitivities with the older kids. There is also a small gymnasium that is used all week for the little ones and is then tranformed into a hip hop/karate/teen center on weekends. Because of their poverty, the teen years are when many of the inhabitants of this area resort to dangerous drugs and gang activities as an escape from the lives they lead here. Sniffing glue is very prevalent among the 9-16 yr. olds---doctors believe that its appetite suppressing qualities are initially sought after more than the mood altering that also comes from this very, very dangerous habit.


3 comments:

  1. Patty that playground looks really nice. We miss you so much. At least one person in class says "I wonder if Patty is doing good." Which we know you are. Bye!
    Sara Skarshaug

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you more---remember to look at the moon at 8:30 on clear nights. I'll be looking at that same moon and sending everyone postive thoughts---it's a cosmic telephone!
    xo Patty
    p.s How's the RRB work coming? What's your newest cosmic topic? You guys can send me copies at my yahoo address if you want to share them---I'd love to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For my 1st Section III topic I'm doing this thing called a "Leedsichthys" (leed-sick-thesis) try saying that 10 times fast!! I think RRB is going good :)

    Sara

    ReplyDelete