Friday, January 22, 2010

The children are back---woohoo! The littlest ones just come in for an hour and a half to clean up and have lunch but we are operational, at last. This is the main building where the first through seventh graders work each day---and is also housing our little ones during meal time until the Guarderia opens. We volunteers at the Guarderia have a new nickname---
The Guad Squad! And I am one of five others that wear the name proudly!

My two new friends---Annamara y Harold (pronounced Erroll, like Flynn for the old timers) that I would bring back with me in a heartbeat if I could fit them in my suitcase----they've only known me for a few days but they run to me and give me so many hugs and kisses each time they arrive.
Here are siblings Marie y Noe---she won't start eating until he begins and always watches his every move. They are two of eight brothers and sisters who come to Camino Seguro every day.


Once Noe starts eating, Marie wastes no time filling her little tummy with the really great lunches that are served. Hand made tortillas are a staple and are served with each meal---I tried my hand at making them. What seemed like such a simple task is impossibly hard with the gooey cornmeal mash. We'll have to try them when I return--bet you'll love them even if they aren't all identical and perfectly formed like they are here.




Another of our little munchkins that brings such big smiles to all us volunteers.



5 comments:

  1. Buenos días Patty,

    ¡Lo has conseguido! Usted me tenía en lágrimas cuando vi las fotos de tus amigos especiales. Sigo pensando, los que podrían haber sido de mis sobrinos, mi hermana no se había adoptado. Eres una mujer increíble. Ya sé que estos niños han dejado huellas en tu corazón.

    ¿Hay algo que puede enviar a usted oa los niños? Yo sería feliz también!

    Estoy seguro de que estos recuerdos estará con usted durante muchos años por venir. Por favor, dadas esas dos amigos especiales abrazos enormes de mí y saber que estamos orando por ellos y tú!

    Te quiero!
    Señorita Anne Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Español
    Son tan lindos! Espero que se divierten!

    Estoy seguro de que usted ha oído esto muchas veces, pero echo de menos!!

    Adiós!

    English
    They're so cute! I hope you have fun!

    I'm sure you've heard this many times, but we miss you!!

    Bye!

    Sara Skarshaug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne Marie---yo espero que mis amigas, come tu, estan en la mia vida por mucho mas tiempo de mis memorias de Guatemala. Hasta nosotros estan viejo y gris y sin memorias! Abrazos, gringa

    Miss Skarshaug, I can never hear it more than I think it about you guys---I think about you guys 25 times a day and everyone down here has heard all the crazy stories I know about you guys.
    xo Patty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patty,

    What a great adventure you are on!!!! Looks like Guatemala is agreeing with you. Rick and I loved it when we visited Flores and Tikal many years ago. It's so beautiful there and the people are so friendly.
    Sending you hugs and kisses from all of us!!!
    xoxo-Susan

    ReplyDelete