Happy Viernes, todos!
Let me share just a few more things I"ve learned about this incredible place I'm visiting:
If you flash your head lights off-and-on or put your emergency flashers on, it's okay to drive the wrong way down a One Way street! This was not a one time sighting---it happens all the time!
It is not unusual to see a family of four, or even five, on one motorcycle---including babies.
It isn't unusual to see two people ride one bicycle up the long and very steep road from Guatemala City to Antigua---a ride only really serious bikers would attempt even one to a bike.
In larger cities like Antigua, little three-wheeled taxis called "tuk-tuks" are a common sight. They look like some type of souped up (sp?), and enclosed in plastic golf cart and are dirt-cheap transportation (maybe 45 cents to go across town)---so here's the funny part: they zip around so insanely, that it's not uncommon to see a tuk-tuk take a corner on only 2 wheels! I'll walk, gracias.
Many of the horses that hang around in the city wear diapers---lawn and leaf sized plastic bags with appropriate alterations to do the job.
And lastly---now that I've worked so hard to learn Spanish, I find myself needing to re-learn a version that is actually spoken by the people I work with---the slang and idioms they use are so different that it could be it's own language. I'm also picking up a much more "colorful" language--there are even children at the Guarderia that can make me blush!
Have a great weekend, everyone---Abrazos!
Ok Patty you too!! Tuk-tuks?? Isn't it legally impossible to have 5 people on a motorcycle here in Michigan?? Oh my gosh!! Miss you so much!! ¿QuĂ© tipo de comida que usted come en Guatemala? Madison Porter says hi! Talk to you later!! Post more pictures they are so cool!!!!
ReplyDelete-Abrazos! I finally know what that means!! :)
Sara Skarshaug