Monday, January 18, 2010

Oh my gosh!!! Today I experienced my first (and hopefully, last) earthquake!! I was sitting in la guarderia on a little wooden bench and all the sudden it felt like I was getting dizzy---I actually thought I should bend down to keep from fainting, but instead of being in my head, the room itself was reeling. The stool I was sitting on was rocking side to side and the lights hanging from the ceiling were swaying to and fro---talk about a little something scary every day--whew! I wish I had a camera with me to snap some shots of the volunteers' faces. With that said, it was like an amusement park ride for a few seconds and then it was over---the Guatemalan teachers just kept right on working (their pay must be awsome!) and were kind of giggling at us big chickens. So, despite the news saying it was a 6.0 quake, it did no damage that we know of--it actually got my heart rate up to that good exercise level---and everyone is safe and sound. No worries---except, funny story---when I got home my house dad ran up the stairs shouting at me to come outside to see the nearest volcano spewing debris in the air. Faling ash made the sky look like a fog had settled over the area. I think I might just sleep with my boots on and one eye open tonight :)
And---to my gang at the Children's House. Michele wrote me and told me how proud she was of all of you for your incredible performance last week. I want you to know that I'm always proud of you and I would have been hooting and hollering the loudest if I'd been there. I can't wait to see it! I want all of you guys to give each other a big hug from me tomorrow in group!
Abrazos y besos

4 comments:

  1. hey patty
    we all miss you in the classroom, we are really working hard on our rrb I hope you are having fun in Guatemala!
    from Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Patty!
    I'm so happy that all is well there. It's been great reading about all of your adventures. We miss you! What a great thing you are doing!
    Much love,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patty! I hope you are having fun! We miss you so much in the classroom. We send the best wishes to you!
    Sara Skarshaug

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you have already had many adventures! I am sure time is flying by for you. Anything you need, just let me know.
    Wishing you & your future adventures well!
    Love you
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete